Some questions up for discussion:
1) Which do you think is more important to have when making moral decisions; reason or emotion?
2) How do you define a morality? Do you prefer the normative or descriptive definition of morality?
3) How do you define a moral decision? How should one justify a moral decision?
4) Do you view the difference between an impersonal moral decision and a personal moral decision as being a valid justification for a moral choice?
5) Do you agree or disagree with Dan Ariely's belief that we all have a personal "fudge factor" when it comes to our moral code? Why or why not?
6) How important is it to be sympathetic to others when making moral decisions? Explain.
Comment below to respond!
To respond to your first question, I think that both reason and emotion are detrimental in making moral decisions. I believe that a person's morals are what shapes a person's reason when making a decision, which can be affected by his or her emotions during the process. I believe emotion is just as equally as important as reason because feelings help a person determine where their heart truly is in any given situation.
ReplyDeleteHmm. In response to #1, I think it's important to have a balance of both when making moral decisions, though I wouldn't necessarily rely on emotion. When I make hard decisions, I find that my emotions often lead me to make rash and not very well thought out choices. So I would say intuition and conscience would work in tandem with reason in order to make a good choice. Easier said than done, of course :). Very thought provoking! Good job, Julia. -Trish
ReplyDeleteQuestion 6 is a tricky one. I feel that one should consider others when making decisions, but at times, a truly moral decision is not going to create the greatest good for the greatest amount of people. One cannot simply sacrifice morality for "the greater good."
ReplyDeleteYour first question really got me thinking and I believe that a balance of both is often necessary. I think that sometimes we need to act on our emotions and do what is best for us, even if it goes against logic though. Relationships, life, making decisions is extremely complex but in the end I feel that we as human beings with emotions should take care of our hearts.
ReplyDelete-Sheridan
As mostly everyone has said, I think you need a good balance of both, but I do think reason is super important. I know I let my emotions rule too much of my choices, when I need to think about reality. Another question that got me thinking was the last one. Having just done something in religion about the death penalty, I feel like I can answer this one. I think it's important to feel /something/, even sympathy, when making big choices and moral decisions, but you can't always let those feelings rule your choice. Emotions are super important, but you can't always rely on them to give you the best answer.
ReplyDeleteThis was really interesting and made me start thinking a little more as I read on. I think you bring up a great point about emotions being more important than reason, and it's cool to actually see it proven. Great job Julia! --Sabrina
To answer number 3, I'd define a moral decision as a decision that coincides with your morals. This is different for everyone. However, there are certain known morals that all know though not all follow. For example, we all know that it is bad to kill someone, yet people are killed everyday. I have no way to justify such actions, yet people seem to feel enough anger to kill.
ReplyDeleteIn response to the first question, I think that a balance of both reason and emotion are necessary to make a moral decision. Without one, the decision could be warped. However, I think that emotion can sometimes overtake the role reason plays in making a decision. Very thought provoking questions, Julia!
ReplyDelete-Sarah
I totally agree with what Sabrina said in response to number one. But to expand on her thinking, I believe a person relies on more heart or more mind depending on the situation. I never relies or rather even thought about how human decision process work. Your topic was very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI agree that people allow emotions to take over their decisions, however I think that reason should be the main "guide" in making a moral decision. Reason helps one to think of reality and the consequences of their actions. Acting on feelings only can cause one to act rashly and not fully make a correct judgement on their morals.
ReplyDeleteThis topic really intrigued me because my research paper was similar. I examine how the "unconscious mind" influences our decisions. What I discovered is that it is emotion, rather than reason, that unconsciously directs or actions. Researchers theorize that there is an Emotional Positioning System which compares our current situations to past decisions and their emotional implications. Based on this information, the person gets a biased brain signal which, in the conscious mind, can make a decision.
ReplyDeleteThere are also many studies pointing to the value of emotions. Patients with brain damage in the parts responsible for emotion usually cannot make decisions just based on reason.
Great job!
I think that our emotions derive from reason- we feel the way we feel because of what we know. So, as everyone is saying, when one makes a moral decision, both the head and the heart are active contributors. I think that to justify a moral decision, one needs to prove that they achieved the most just and honorable solution by using the most honest and harmless means.
ReplyDeleteI believe that reason is more important in making decisions, but all to often we use our emotions to influence our decisions. In response to number five. I do think we have a little moral fudge room. But our core morals stay the same.
ReplyDeleteI think that reason is definitely an important factor in making decisions, because it keeps us from acting off of instinct and doing things that could have potentially harmful effects. I do believe that emotions do influence our decisions most of the time though. Speaking from experience when I am overly sad or angry or happy I rashly make decisions that I otherwise would not have made. That is why I believe it is important to "sleep on it," as people say, before you act.
ReplyDeleteI think both logic and emotion are important when making a decision. Oftentimes something can seem like better decision logically, but it may not be the best decision for you personally. For example, you could be looking at a college that fits all of the requirements you had in mind, yet when you get there it just doesn't feel right. it is important, especially when making important decisions to think about it for a while to ensure neither logic nor emotion takes priority.
ReplyDelete